View Park was developed in the 1920s as a high-upper-class neighborhood akin to Cheviot Hills, Brentwood, Carthay Circle, and Studio City. Along with neighboring Ladera Heights and Baldwin Hills, it is one of the wealthiest African-American areas in the United States. It contains a superb collection of houses in the Spanish Colonial and Mediterranean styles, most of which remain today. Windsor Hills underwent development in the late 1930s; aimed at the high upper class, it was the first subdivision in Southern California for which the newly created Federal Housing Administration provided mortgage insurance. African-Americans were forbidden residence in either area until the Supreme Court's invalidation of racial restrictive covenants in 1948.
View Park−Windsor Hills is an unincorporated community in Los Angeles County, California, United States. The View Park neighborhood is on the north end of the community along Angeles Vista Boulevard and the Windsor Hills neighborhood is on the southern end to the north of Slauson Avenue.
View Park−Windsor Hills is one of the wealthiest primarily African-American areas in the United States. The two neighborhoods are part of a band of neighborhoods, from Culver City's Fox Hills district on the west to the Los Angeles neighborhood of Leimert Park on the east, that compose the single largest and one of the wealthiest geographically contiguous high middle- and upper-class black communities in the western United States. This corridor also includes Baldwin Hills and Ladera Heights neighborhoods.
The population was 11,075 at the 2010 census, up from 10,958 at the 2000 census. For statistical purposes, the United States Census Bureau has defined View Park−Windsor Hills as a census-designated place (CDP). The census definition of the area may not precisely correspond to local understanding of the area.